Basket 0

PIN & SEW MAKES : Watercolour Succulents Jersey Elliot Sweater

Cotton Jersey Fabric Review Pattern Review Pin & Sew Makes

Hi fellow sewers, I'm Ruth(@ruthiesews)and this is my first blog post as part of the Pin and Sew Blogger Team. I hope you enjoy it!

I love so many of Aga's fabrics, which I think are just that little bit unusual, but I finally decided on this one called 'Watercolour Succulents': I even love the name!


Then I had to decide what to make and became very indecisive. The jersey is really a lovely quality cotton, which is very stable.
I was so tempted to make a dress, as I so often am, but I let the sensible part of me think what I would wear most at the moment, before summer arrives. The colours of the fabric are all my favourites rolled into one!

I finally chose to try the Helen's Closet Elliot Sweater after much deliberation and I have made Version A in a medium 8-10, because I like high/low hems with skinny jeans.

succulent elliot sweater

The fabric arrived beautifully packaged in a reusable brown bag tied inside with a printed Pin and Sew tape, which I've previously used to stabilize the shoulders in jersey garments, so I popped it straight into my ribbon jar.

I immediately washed my fabric, which is always a must for me nowadays to allow for shrinkage.
I also actually traced the pattern which is my pet hate!
I cut out the top and lengthened the sleeve by 3 inches as I wanted them longer as I get cold arms!. I also lengthened the front pattern piece by 1 inch.

After looking at the sleeve I decided I wanted it full length, so i used the deep cuff pattern from the Toaster Sweater by Sew House Seven. I like to add cuffs to tops as it's a nice finish.

The construction was to sew the sleeves, first to the front, then the back of the sweater, then sew the side seams to the beginning of the side slit. Then the seams are pressed flat to enable the sewer to turn under the seam allowance on the side openings.

At this point I thought the neck looked very wide. I decided to insert the medium high collar and tacked it in so I could see how it looked. I wasn't keen on this and felt it would work much better with a very drapey knit, for me anyway (as a personal preference). I decided to go with the neckband insertion instead and again tacked it in  I found it best to use a large pattern piece for this as it fitted better.

I was comparing my almost finished results with my hacked Linden sweatshirt which I made in a lovely french terry from Aga in February. There is a great deal of similarity between the two patterns because I had added a slightly stepped hem in the Linden. Perhaps next time I will combine the two.

I decided at the end of the process that my Elliot sweater needed to be a bit smaller so I took in 1/4 inch at each side. I unpicked the side seams as I wanted them to lay flat.

Having fiddled about quite a bit with this simple project I am really pleased with the end result, so it was worth it. I found a necklace that I've had a long time, which complements the colours and paired with my jade jeggings it feels a lovely casual outfit. It will also look great with white or blue jeans, so it will be a very versatile top. 

Oh I forgot to mention that I had a slight accident with my overlocker last week, when the blade hit a hidden pin, so for this project I used a zig-zag stitch on my Janome machine. The fabric sewed up really well, even when I used a straight stitch to topstitch the sides and hems.

Well that's my review of the Elliot Sweater in this gorgeous print.

Thank you for reading, until next time.




Older Post Newer Post

  • Ruth Lanwarne on

    Thank you very much Claudia 😁

  • Claudia on

    Lovely top Ruth. I have always admired your style. I have only just found this website via your Instagram account, and what a find it is! I love stretch fabric and there are some beautiful examples. I shall definitely be indulging.

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published