Hi Everyone, it's Amanda of I Sew A Lot back on the Pin & Sew blog today. I really struggled deciding what to make this month as the weather has been so up and down. One minute I want to sew all the summer clothes as the sun is shining and the next I want more cardigans and sweaters as its pouring down with rain.
Anyway, when I saw this beautiful Abstract Florals Cotton Jersey which Aga had just got in it definitely made my mind up it is so vibrant and summery. I decided to make the latest jumpsuit pattern from Deer & Doe which is the Sirocco Jumpsuit. This jersey is perfect as it has a really great recovery due to its elastane content and also has a 60% stretch widthwise which is just what the pattern calls for.
Although I loved the jumpsuit pattern and have seen so many gorgeous versions on lots of people I was not so keen on the tapered leg. As my waist to hip ratio is a little unusual I was concerned that the tapered leg might accentuate my hips. Therefore I continued the leg seam lines straight from the point on the pattern where the shorts version finished instead of tapering in as the pattern does. I also went for a cropped version reducing the leg length by 7.5 inches.
I have made a fair few Deer & Doe patterns before and their sizing fits me pretty well but I always find I need to size down on the bodice to make it fit me better on the bust. As this was a jersey make and I had seen that, on other people, it was quite roomy around the hip area so I sized down the whole thing and just sewed a straight size 34 which is slightly smaller than my actual measurements but worked out well.
The only issue I envisaged was that the waist was quite small and you obviously need to get it over your hips to get the jumpsuit on and off as there are no fastenings or openings other than at the neck. To take this into account I constructed my jumpsuit slightly differently from how the pattern suggests. I sewed the trousers together completely and then the bodice portion and then attached each portion to the waistband which I had joined at the short ends to make a complete circle. This enabled me to stretch the waistband slightly as I sewed to give more ease to the stitches and avoid them popping under tension.
I think the jumpsuit has turned out really well and I love the pleat details and also the crossover at the front.
The fabric is perfect and was such a dream to sew. It is super soft, thick enough to be used for garments intended to be worn on your bottom half and also has great opacity. This jumpsuit is definitely like secret pyjamas as it fits so well without any other adjustments being necessary.
I am also intending on making this my entry for the #sewtogetherforsummer challenge on Instagram which is in it's third year and just happens to be jumpsuits. All entries for the challenge are to be in by 21st June and therefore I am just in the nick of time!
Anyway that’s all from me and I just need some sunshine now!!
Until next time.